Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Casper Station (Part 1)

This is a reworked piece of a story that I am currently writing. I'll update this post as I revise more of the story.

“It’s over, Dwight. I’m finished.” Serah’s tear-filled eyes flitted from the empty wine glass, to the waiter, and back to Dwight. “I can’t do this anymore. You haven’t had a job for a year and a half and the kids deserve better.”

Dwight stared blankly with his mouth half open as though he had been given a lobotomy.

“I… I don’t understand. This. This is-,” Dwight understood. Somewhere in his gut, he knew that this was coming, but he didn’t think it would be so soon. “Look, we had our whole life planned out. It took us two years just to get approved for a license to have Damian, and you’re going to just throw this all away?!”

Serah blinked the tear out of her eye. “There is no this, Dwight. You’re a shell of the man I fell in love with, and you have done nothing to provide for our children since you lost your job. And you’re right! It did take us two years to get approval for Damian so you should remember that one of the most important rules under the contract for the license is that you are supposed to be able to provide for your children properly! I honestly don’t know how we’ve gone so long without the government kicking in our door and slapping us with a fine.” Her mascara began to run.

Dwight broke out in a cold sweat as he realized what was happening. He was about to lose the only thing he had left in this world, and there was nothing he could do to prevent it. He put his clammy hand on the table and looked down at the remains of his steak.

“Serah, you know there is no market left on Earth for a fusion engineer. The only place I can get a job is on an outer colony, and it would take a generation to get to the closest one. By then the question of raising our kids would be obsolete. Please look at this from my point of view.”

Serah’s eyes turned to slits. “Yes, I’ve heard this all a hundred times before, but the law is the law and the last thing I want is for Damian and Jess to be taken away and sent god knows where. Look, I’ve been thinking this over for a long time. Dad agrees that this is the best thing to do.”

“Ah, so the all wise and powerful Matthew Savanh pulls through once again. I’m so sorry I can’t be rich and powerful like him.” Dwight said mockingly

“Yeah,” Serah nodded. “Me too.”

There was a long silence between them as Dwight kept his seething anger under check. Serah had a habit of hitting him where it hurt when he was most vulnerable, and he was reeling from the massive blow to his ego.

“While we’re on the subject of my father, I’ve arranged to live with him until I can find a place of my own. We can arrange visitation if-“

“Serah, your father lives off planet,” Dwight interrupted. “You know I can’t afford that!”

“They’re your kids too! if you really want to see them, you’ll find a way. Besides, it’s about time to show them some devotion and this is your big chance.”

Serah waved her hand over the sensor on the table. It read her bank account information from the identity chip that had been implanted in her hand since birth.

“I’ll see you at home, Dwight,” And with that she stood up and left. He watched her as she navigated past the tables and grabbed her coat from the rack. He admired the way her blue dress so perfectly framed her body. Dwight would have liked to know that today was the last day he would ever see Serah and his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment